“The Family Life of a Christian Leader
Shawn Bateman, Misionary to Argentina
May 31, 2018
The Family Life of a Christian Leader
Loving with honor is the way for a husband to bring completion to his wife. Women are completed by receiving affection. That is the way they are made. I asked the wives of some of our Youth for Christ staff how they would like their husbands to express their love for them. Here are some of the answers I got. They said, “I want him to:
- Believe me.
- Speak well of me and not speak of my weaknesses before others, especially before his family.
- Point out my errors lovingly without shouting at me.
- Speak nicely when he is upset with me.
- Appreciate what I do and praise me.
- Help with the work around the house, especially looking after the child; words are not enough.
- Volunteer to help me with my chores.
- Take his weekly day off without fail and do things I like to do on that day.
- Be concerned for my spiritual and other welfare.
- Inquire how I am faring.
- Act quickly when I express a need.
- Look after himself, be well groomed and clean
- Listen to me.
- Understand me.
- Tell me if he is coming late.
- Take me out on a date.
I was surprised that none of the wives talked about their husbands buying things for them, especially because I know that all of our staff workers are struggling to make ends meet financially! But every point in this list fits in with the love-and-honor model for husbands advocated in the New Testament. Husbands need to work hard to find what their wives like and try their best to provide them with those things.